Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Are you empathetic- can you understand?

Empathy: Noun -The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Are you an empathetic person? I am- I always have been, but after everything that happened last summer, it's clearer than ever. When something bad happens, no matter the size or gravity of the situation, I feel it and it hurts. Sometimes it puts me back to that first night so quickly I can barely breathe. And I can't help but remember (in excruciating detail) how each day felt worse than the day before and how hard it was to live in the present. 

So it's hard not to empathize with anyone who is going through a tough time; I've been there and in some (maybe most) ways still am, and it's not something that you really want to relate to. I would rather be completely alone in sadness than have any other person experience it for themselves. 

I wrote a previous post about resolutions, and my biggest one was to simply be kind. Even if you don't empathize easily (not a bad thing!), try and remember to be kind; it's important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment