Thursday, November 08, 2012

Smile, even though your heart is breaking

I was having a very "down" moment (day) when I got an invite to celebrate my cousin's birthday next month (followed by a phone call from my padre just to say hello!) and it instantly brought a smile to my face. Sometimes it's nice just to know that life does go on. Events are planned, birthdays are celebrated, and people still care and love.

For the first month or so after Alex died, I felt as if I was being treated for a terminal illness. People were skittish around me and acted as if they were about to witness spontaneous combustion. And when I say people, I don't mean true friends or family, I just mean in general. And then there were the people (like my cousin, best friends, sister) who just invited me out to do random things and talked about normal every day occurrences.

I think it takes a special person to be around a very sad person (I often find myself wondering how I would have acted if the situation was different), and I can now fully realize and appreciate the people in my life who clearly just love me so so much that it didn't change the way they viewed me. My best friend literally took care of me right from the moment I found out (made calls, carried me, wiped my tears, helped me dress, eat, etc etc etc); I had friends who came to my house every.single.night without fail just to sit with me; My family didn't leave my side; Alex's family embraced myself and my family into their home; the list goes on and on.

I have so many people in my life who I am so thankful for - I hope you know who you are, and I hope you know that I love you! <3

2 comments: