Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Alex & I in Bermuda, August 2012

As I mentioned above, I've been wanting to create this blog for quite some time. I would always start and then end up wondering what in the world I could write about that other people would actually enjoy reading. 

Up until a few months ago I would have categorized myself as a pretty typical young 20-something: Working, partying, living with best friends and dating the love of my life. I took it all a bit for granted, I've come to realize that now. I was so happy and, aside from the usual issues, had nothing to complain about. I come from a loving and happy family, I have the most amazing girlfriends in the world, I have a full-time well paying job, and I had the nicest, kindest, smartest, most handsome perfect boyfriend. And then one Friday night at the end of summer, my world collapsed around me. My boyfriend had spent the summer in Bermuda teaching sailing to young kids (talk about adorable!) and when I hadn't heard from him in over 24 hours, I decided to call him (we didn't call, only Facebook message and Skype while he was away). By chance, I called his home number rather than cell and found myself talking to his mom (at 1:30am) and apologizing for calling so late. Little did I know that she had just received the news that would alter our lives forever. Our beloved Alex had died. 

The next two (three, four, five) weeks passed in a blur of grief and numbness. With this blog I want to share my thoughts and emotions as I start living and feeling again. Grief is unpredictable and it's something that everyone experiences at some point in their lives, in some way or another. Some days are bad, some are unimaginably sad, and some are almost good. Ever since I was a little girl I've needed a creative outlet - so here goes!

 Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how I stumbled across your blog, but I'm really happy I did. My boyfriend died suddenly about 4 months ago. I started a blog about a month after he passed away as a way to try to sort thing the millions of things in my head.

    This is the first entry of yours that I've read, but I'm going to go through the rest in the next couple of days. Thank you in advance for being brave enough to share your struggle.

    <3
    Briana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I think it's wonderful that you were able to create a space to work through things, I can definitely appreciate the need to write it all down and reflect.

      I know that everyone grieves in different ways, and that each story is unique, but if you ever want to talk about anything, or need advice, you can ask me! I know it can be difficult talking to people who already know you about things like this, sometimes it's nice to have an outsider listen in!

      - Sara

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete