Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Love That Remains

How's that for a powerful word?

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel the now-common ache and pull for Alex; for his physical presence and for his emotional support. Whenever I'm having a particularly tough moment, my mind always goes to him first: Alex would have known what to say- he would have known how to fix it or make me smile again.

Over the past year I have experienced so many different emotions. I have experienced more heartbreak than I thought possible and more ups and downs than the twistiest roller-coaster. Lately I have been feeling the familiar sense of dread beginning to creep over me as August approaches. August 7th was that last time that I saw Alex, the day I left Bermuda. And August 17th will mark the anniversary of his death, just 16 days before he was supposed to come home.

I can still remember exactly how I felt the night we received the news, and how the next two weeks unfolded around me. However shocked and numb I now realize I was, was outweighed by the complete grief that took over my body. Now that all of the "first year marks" are coming up, I am beginning to feel the exact same way I did last year. It's almost as if all of the progress I feel I've made has now washed away, or at least started to fade. I find myself wanting to retreat back into myself and go into hiding for a month or so.

Even though I knew that it would happen anyway, I've been trying to build up some sort of defense against all of the pain I am going to have to face in this dreaded summer month. I'm quickly coming to realize that it's going to hurt no matter what I do- I am however armed with the knowledge that if I can make it through these past eleven months, I can make it through anything.

1 comment:

  1. Such wisdom Girl! I felt much the same as you felt, knowing it would be hard, wondering how to buffer myself against it, wanting to retreat and wondering what Alex would have said were he here!

    Even as I prepared for the 17th, now past, I knew it was "just a day" but would be one like none other. As you said at LFI, I would not trade knowing him for anything even it if came with the removal of the grief I now feel. I can't IMAGINE not knowing him. What a loss THAT would be!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete